Tuesday, May 9, 2017

You Can't Go Home Again



I'm calling bullshit on that.  Yes, you can go home again.  This is one of my very most favorite places on Earth from my childhood.  I don't get to go there often, but when I do, it is delightful.  This year the irises were blooming and there were wild strawberries and honeysuckle, too.  A crawdaddy went swimming by and the water was colder than usual.  I scattered some of my father's ashes on the gently flowing creek.  

As long as you remind yourself beforehand that "home" will not look the same as the last time you left it, you will be just fine.  For when you land in those places, your mind's eye sees the memories you hold most dear and, if you close your physical eyes, you will be transported back to that place in time.  It is vitally important in this life to grow and expand your horizons, but every growing thing must have good roots.  If you don't remember yours, you can lose sight of how you came to be who you are today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Can't Go Home Again

I'm calling bullshit on that.  Yes, you can go home again.  This is one of my very most favorite places on Earth from my childhood. ...