Thursday, April 27, 2017

Washing the Dust off my Soul


     I no longer live in the place where I was born.  I am far, far away from there.  Living in the land of sunshine and beaches is truly heaven.  But sometimes, the misty Smoky Mountains call my name out loud.  Usually once I've broken free from some dark period in my life is when I hear them hollering in my dreams.  "Time to come home, wash the dust off your soul", they say.  You can actually feel the hum of the mountains when you're standing on one.

     This is a picture of Aunt Mary's creek.  I'm headed back there soon to dip my toes in and watch for crawdaddies.  That cool, clear mountain stream has heard many of my secrets and received many of my tears.  Aunt Mary has gone home for good, as have most of my people who lived there.  But it will always be Aunt Mary's creek to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Can't Go Home Again

I'm calling bullshit on that.  Yes, you can go home again.  This is one of my very most favorite places on Earth from my childhood. ...