Friday, April 21, 2017

Eighty-Six

     I am, obviously, a word freak.  I have been enchanted with words since before I could speak them.  I wanted to learn the code.  I am gifted with an affinity for languages.  Words, once I learned about them, have always come easy to me. It is a gift passed down to me from my beloved grandmother.
     I subscribe to Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day.  Each morning when I open my email, I know the word will be a breadcrumb to follow.  Today's word is "eighty-six".  The most commonly accepted origin for the term is that it was used as code in restaurants in the 1930's and meant the establishment was out of a certain item.  It also means to refuse to serve, as in a customer.  This in itself could be a breadcrumb trail, as I have been guilty of losing myself by over-serving others.
   Specifically, today, I think it is a reminder to 86 my self-doubt.  I have a big project coming to completion that I was convinced was perfect and shouldn't be messed with any further.  Then that old familiar (hmmmm, familiar is another breadcrumb as my issues are the result of FAMILY trauma from a very early age) lack of self-confidence started yacking in my brain last night.
     Let's look at the number 86.  August is my mother's birth month.  June is one of my sister's birth months.  8 + 6 = 14.  4 + 1 = 5.  The number 5 is a breadcrumb from my dad whose birthday was in May.  Also my grandfather and my Aunt Mary, who were born in May.  And my son was born on the 5th day of the month of January (1).  Just a little "hello, we're here" reminder.
     And then there is this:
      In the year 1986, until the very last day on my birthday, I was 23.  2 + 3 = 5.  Five again!  If you add 1, 9, 8, and 6, you get 24.  I was 24 when I married my first husband in the month of April (4).  Also, 2 + 4 = 6.  June is the month my first bestest friend growing up was born.  And my daughter was born on the fourth (4) day of the second (2) month.  Hello from Kevin.  
     There are many other interpretations here, this is just skimming the surface.  Cause I got things to do, places to go, and people to see today.  My main take-away from today's first breadcrumb-of-the-day (BOTD, from henceforth) is Dad, Grandaddy, Kevin, and Aunt Mary say "good morning" and to EIGHTY-SIX that doubt, girlie-gal.  
     What's your BOTD?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Can't Go Home Again

I'm calling bullshit on that.  Yes, you can go home again.  This is one of my very most favorite places on Earth from my childhood. ...